In the beginning:
For some time now I have been thinking that although I have far more music than I have ever had in my life I don't really seem to enjoy it as much as I usd to.
Why is this the case? I'm not sure that I have the complete answer but I think I have at least part of the answer. I recently went online and bought an MP3 player for $14 this is the type with a micro SD card slot so it is able to hold an almost limitless supply of music.depending on the size of memory card I supply. After some time with the new toy I realized I just had not used the thing. It's probably why I rarely listen to music in my car, it all seems to sounds the same.
By now you probably rolling your eyes and think this some kind of rant against technology. It would be difficult to find someone who is more enthralled with technology than I have been and continue to be. A little research on my part led me to understand what digitization, compression, and the file size has done to the "fidelity" of recorded music. Yes, fidelity as in HiFi the ability to truthfully reproduce music as it was recorded.
When I came across a website extolling the virtues of vintage audio gear I was quickly hooked. I grew up with this stuff and now it is still considered as good or better than equivalent purchased today. I remembered the act of listening to music, carefully removing a vinyl record from it's sleeve putting it on the turntable and cleaning it with my Discwasher. Cueing the tonearm and setting the needle in the groove.
For some time now I have been thinking that although I have far more music than I have ever had in my life I don't really seem to enjoy it as much as I usd to.
Why is this the case? I'm not sure that I have the complete answer but I think I have at least part of the answer. I recently went online and bought an MP3 player for $14 this is the type with a micro SD card slot so it is able to hold an almost limitless supply of music.depending on the size of memory card I supply. After some time with the new toy I realized I just had not used the thing. It's probably why I rarely listen to music in my car, it all seems to sounds the same.
By now you probably rolling your eyes and think this some kind of rant against technology. It would be difficult to find someone who is more enthralled with technology than I have been and continue to be. A little research on my part led me to understand what digitization, compression, and the file size has done to the "fidelity" of recorded music. Yes, fidelity as in HiFi the ability to truthfully reproduce music as it was recorded.
When I came across a website extolling the virtues of vintage audio gear I was quickly hooked. I grew up with this stuff and now it is still considered as good or better than equivalent purchased today. I remembered the act of listening to music, carefully removing a vinyl record from it's sleeve putting it on the turntable and cleaning it with my Discwasher. Cueing the tonearm and setting the needle in the groove.

No comments:
Post a Comment